Potato salad is such a summery dish, and here in Bali it’s pretty much always summer, so never a bad time for potato salad.
There are a few things that make this potato salad absolutely amazing. First of all bacon. Crispy, salty, delicious bacon. Second of all, tons of colourful veggies that add crunch and sweetness, then dill, which gives it a bit of a herbaceous kick, and finally, the creamy dressing made with sour cream, mayo, mustard, a splash of vinegar and bacon fat. Yep, you read right. Bacon fat for another hit of bacon-y goodness.
OK, so this may not be the healthiest dish in the world, but if you want to lighten it up a bit, you could substitute Greek yoghurt for the sour cream or mayo and maybe take out the bacon and extra bacon fat. Taking out the bacon would be an act of sacrilege if you ask me, but hey—to each his or her own.
As for me, I’m full bacon all the way.
Normally I would use red-skinned baby potatoes for this salad, because the skin adds another dimension of flavour, but I’ve not had much luck finding those little guys here in Ubud, so regular baby potatoes will have to do. And actually, these ones have a pretty good texture to soak up all that sauce.
Also, for those of you living in Bali, you probably know how expensive Western celery is. If you’re not into splashing out a fortune just for celery, then the smaller local celery is much cheaper and also works well. I would say use about 5 to 6 stalks of the local celery chopped.
One thing I love about this potato salad is how easy it is to make. After boiling the potatoes and chopping the veggies and bacon, you basically just throw everything in a bowl, mix it up and you’re good to go. And those COLOURS! Yes it has a mayo-based dressing, but there are loads of fresh veggies in there, so you actually have a ton of healthy, crunchy goodness in every bite.
Even better, this potato salad actually gets better if you leave it in the refrigerator overnight because it allows all the flavours to really sink in. That is, if you can hold yourself back from eating it all in one sitting.
In my opinion, this is the absolute best potato salad in the world, but I’ll leave it up to you to decide. Feel free to drop a line and let us know your take!
Creamy Potato Salad with Bacon and Dill
- 1/2 red onion minced
- 1/2 red pepper (capsicum) finely diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper (capsicum) finely diced
- 1 celery rib finely diced
- 8 pieces bacon
- 2 hardboiled eggs chopped
- 1/2 kilo small red potatoes
- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp dill chopped
- 2 splashes vinegar
- Boil the potatoes for 30 minutes or until done. Let cool and chop in half. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until slightly crispy and chop into 1-inch pieces. Remember to save 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Combine the chopped veggies, eggs, bacon and potatoes in a bowl and toss to combine. Pour in 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and toss to coat.
- Whisk the mayo, sour cream, mustard and dill together and pour over the potato mixture. Toss to combine Add two splashes of vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve straight away while the potatoes are warm, or refrigerate and serve cold.